Welcome Team Member
Scan me or visit www.volunteercambs.org.uk/o/elycathedralorgcommunity/activities/Welcome-Team-Member/75442 to join
SummaryPrimarily responsible for welcoming visitors to Ely Cathedral in accordance with our mission statement.
Located on the main entrance and exit points, Welcome Team Members maintain a watchful, helpful, and friendly presence at all times. The role has three key positions:
- West Door
- West Nave
- South Door
While the tasks at each location differ slightly, they all have the same purpose.
- Ensuring that everyone who comes into the building receives a warm and friendly welcome in accordance with the Cathedral’s Benedictine tradition.
- Checking or scanning visitor tickets and giving them appropriate directions to the Stained Glass Museum (SGM) and Shop at the beginning of their visit.
- Directing pass holders and people who need to buy tickets to the Ticket and Information Office.
- At the exit point expressing thanks to everyone for visiting the Cathedral and offering to help them with any directions to the high street, car parks, Almonry, riverside etc.
- Assisting with evacuation of members of the public from the building in the case of an emergency.
- Recognising when a visitor may need additional pastoral support. This could include liaising with a Visitor Services Assistant (VSA) about contacting a Day Chaplain or Canon in Residence.
- Liaising with the VSAs at the beginning of each shift to ensure you have up-to-date information for the day.
- In sympathy with the Cathedral’s purpose, mission and values.
- Outgoing and approachable personality.
- Must be prepared, alert and able to respond to situations as they arise.
- Able to follow basic instructions.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Familiar with using e-mails.
- Competent with IT and comfortable with using an online rota system.
- Expected to be comfortable with fulfilling any of the three positions.
- Welcome Team volunteers are usually required to do at least one shift every three weeks.
- Volunteers have a choice of which position they sign up for. The shift patterns are as follows: Monday – Saturday: 10.00 – 12.00, 12.00 – 14.00 and 14.00 – 16.00. Sunday: 12.00 – 13.30 and 13.30 – 15.00.
- Required to undergo Basic Safeguarding Awareness Training every 3 years and be aware of the advice given in the Cathedral Safeguarding Handbook.
- Regular attendance is required at specific training sessions that take place throughout the calendar year.
- The Visitor Experience Manager.
Please note: All applicants must be 18 or over.