Front of House Volunteer
Scan me or visit www.volunteercambs.org.uk/o/Octavia-Hill-Bithplace-House/activities/Front-of-House-Volunteer/76765 to join
SummaryFront of house volunteers will provide a warm welcome to visitors, sell tickets, man the gift shop and answer questions.
Front of House Volunteers are the face of Octavia Hill Birthplace House, when we are open to the public. We are currently open 2 days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays (10-4) and the first Saturdays of the month (1-4).
Specific tasks involve:
- Welcoming visitors to the house.
- Answer enquiries from members of the public, visitors, groups, etc.
- Selling tickets and items from the gift shop using our till system.
- Supervision of visitors to the museum, ensuring health and safety and museum procedures are followed.
- Assist with evacuation of visitors in a emergency.
What is in it for you?
- Development of customer service skills.
- Learn about the life and work of Octavia Hill.
- Join a motivated, fun and enthusiatic team.
- Meet new people within your local community.
- Get to know colleagues in the heritage sector.
We are looking for someone who?
- Is polite, friendly and helpful to visitors.
- Has good observation and communication skills.
- Is interested in local history and Octavia Hill, but no specific knowledge is expected.
- Is punctual, reliable and has good interpersonal skill.
- Enjoys meeting people, working as a team and sharing their enthusiasm for the house and our past.
- Is prepared to work without supervision (thought support and backup will always be available).
At present we are looking for volunteers who can commit to a regular time each week. We would like to open at weekends if volunteers are available.
Traning and support
- All front of house volunteers will be inducted, trained and supervised by experienced volunteers.
- Training will be organised and include shadowing sessions (as many as you like) with experienced volunteers.
- All volunteers are invited to social events where the can meet other volunteers and trustees.